Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Education

Many of the young sailors ask me about my education, how I did it, and how much did it cost?

Basically, through the use of CLEP, DSST and Excelsior exams, I got my two undergraduate degrees (BS in Business from Excelsior, BA in History from Thomas Edison). These exams are free to the military and cost about $125 for civilians. they are offered in many disciplines and excepted by many different colleges.

While I was attached to the USS Toledo, I completed my MLS in Leadership (from University of OK)using the Navy college Program Afloat College (NCPACE) program. The NCPACE program is free to active duty military while attached to seagoing commands. The college courses are offered using distance learning (CD-ROM).

Now I am using the GI bill that I contributed into to help pay for my PhD from Northcentral.

Many people might say "you had this opportunity because of the military". While this is true, I have had some great opportunities, the same is true with anyone. In many states a disabled Vet can go to college for free. Also many states have 'job training' programs that provide seats in college for unemployed workers. Self study programs (CLEP, DSST) are available to anyone that can read. I remember studying "Middle East conflicts for dummies" to pass the the DSST exam on middle eastern conflicts.

Anyone can do this! Anyone that knows me, knows I am not the smartest guy.

1 comment:

MikeLain said...

Dave, Smarter than me.