Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's been happening?

I've been gardening alot recently. Since it is still so early, I've only been harvesting sod and rocks. The land I've been getting ready has never been gardened. The place with the best sun, actually has the worst soil. Under the layer of sod was construction grade fill. I guess the previous owners when filling the swamp area and diggin ghte pool took the fill and dumped it back there. I've been conditioning the soil, I do have some greens growing there, put it'll take a year to get it ready for some real planting. I planted some arugala, I always heard how easy it was to grow. I planted last week adn the seeds are breaking the ground. I guess it is pretty easy.

I started tilling up around the barn. The soil is good, but the afternoon sun is not. I think this place will be good for Tomatoes and cucumbers. An area by the stone fence is lacking afternoon sun, but it will be very good for peppers. Next year I want to use the area by the barn as a perennal bed for asparagas, rhubard and horseradish.

The fruit tree are doing good. The apples and peaches are about to be in full bloom. The dwarf peach trees didn't make it through the winter. There were always struggling back there. The full size peaches are doing much better. I had good edible peaches last year.

Now the hardest part of gardening is teaching the kids to get off the prepackage junk food and eat some real food.

The kids are doing well. Hailee has been fighting allergies and sinuses. I think it might be more like her adenoids, we are going to get her checked out if this antibiotic doesn't work through. I took Anna and Jaiden to see Iron Man. Jaiden's new superhero name is Iron Bean (her secret identity).

I've been writing and recording a bit. Same old, same old. Work is going well. Same old, same old.

No comments: